Since the St Bega’s Way booklet was published in 2008 there have inevitably been changes along the route. The following amendments are based on feedback that I have received from walkers so my thanks to them and please continue to keep me posted.
- Page 10: Moor Road post office has closed.
- Page 13: The ‘Forestry Commission Uldale’ sign has gone but the beck has a bridge so no need to ford.
- Page 14: The post office/store in Ennerdale Bridge has closed.
- Page 31: Most of the stiles mentioned have been replaced with gates - easier on tired knees.
- Page 31: In the first sentence of the last paragraph I have not sufficiently emphasized that the route leaves the river bank. For 1 km there is no right of way beside the River Derwent except for fishermen who are permit holders. As you bear away from the river looking for the wooden bridge, it is still there, but more noticeable is a gap in the hedge made for a new track across the field to How Farm which is where you need to go.